National Day of Action Against Workfare – 3/3/12
From Boycott Workfare, visit their site for all the latest updates at: http://www.boycottworkfare.org/?p=359
In solidarity with Liverpool Uncut’s action against workfare on Saturday 3rd March, Boycott Workfare has called a national day of action against workfare. There’s already actions planned in Aberdeen, Belfast, Birmingham, Brighton, Bristol, Cardiff, Glasgow, Lincoln, three places in London, Leeds, Manchester, Margate, Nottingham, Paisley, Sheffield and Tunbridge Wells (with others still planning!). Why not visit your high street as well?
So many high street stores are involved in taking on forced unpaid labour that there is plenty of choice – Tescos, Asda, Holland & Barrett, Primark, HMV, and Topshop to name but a few. We’ll have the latest details on each of the companies online soon. Get a group together, make a plan, and head to the streets.
Workfare means that those who need welfare are forced into unpaid work for multi-million pound companies. Instead of a living wage, they receive only JSA – a tiny £53 a week for the under-25s – far below minimum wage.
Workfare means those in paid positions may see their jobs replaced by this unpaid labour. Why would a company pay for people to do these jobs when they can get free labour from the Job Centre?
We can put a stop to this forced unpaid labour – Waterstones, Sainsburys and TK Maxx have all recently announced that they would no longer take unpaid placements – the other companies just need a bit more encouragement to stop this exploitation.
We demand an end to this exploitation and call for welfare rights and living wages for all!
If you continue to exploit us we WILL shut you down!
Details of actions:
- Aberdeen – 12 noon outside M&S. See Facebook event here.
- Belfast – Name & Shame Workfare/Steps to Work Tour. Meeting outside Tesco Metro, Royal Avenue at 2pm. See Facebook event.
- Birmingham – 11.30am outside Poundland on Union Street. Facebook event.
- Brighton – Brighton Benefits Campaign are picketing Tesco in Jubilee Street (opposite Jubilee Square) from 12 noon. See Facebook event. Brighton Youth Fight for Jobs & Education are picketing Tesco in St James’s Street Kemp Town from 11.30am.See Facebook event.
- Bristol – 12 noon at College Green. More info.
- Cardiff – 2pm Outside Poundland on Queen Street. See Facebook event.
- Edinburgh – Join ECAP to plan on Monday 27th! Details tbc for the 3rd.
- Glasgow – 1pm, March 3rd, Top Shop 229 Buchanan Street. See Facebook event.
- Leeds – 12 noon until 3pm. Location tbc. See Facebook event.
- Lincoln – Picket, protest, occupy. Meeting 12 noon on High Street. More details to come.
- Liverpool – Take action with UK Uncut, 1pm until 4pm. Meet Next to Nowhere Social Centre, Bold Street, Liverpool. More info.
- London, Brixton – 12 noon, Acre Lane Tesco.
- London, Ealing – 1pm, The Arcadia Centre 50/52 Broadway, Ealing W5 2ND
See Facebook event.
- London, Oxford Street – Meet outside BHS on Oxford Street, 11:30am. More info and download leaflet for the Oxford St action.
- London, Hackney – See Facebook event.
- London, Kingston – 1pm, Outside Starbucks at the top of Kingston High Street, near the junction with Eden Street. KT1 1NY. See Facebook Event
- London, Lewisham – Join UK Uncut at 1pm, Lewisham High Street More Information.
- Manchester – 12pm at 60 Market Street. More details here.
- Margate – 11am at Occupy Thanet site. Facebook event here.
- Milton Keynes – 1pm at McDonalds, MK Central. Facebook event here.
- Newcastle – 12pm outside Eldon Square. See Facebook event.
- Norwich – 2pm outside Primark, Haymarket,Norwich, Norfolk NR2 1QD
- Nottingham – 12pm outsideWilkinsons, Parliament Street See Facebook event.
- Oxford – Join Solidarity Federation in a Thames Valley action. Assemble 12 noon at Carfax Tower before moving on to selected target(s). More Information.
- Paisley – Meet on the High Street at 11.30am at the old Littlewoods site
- Sheffield – Meet Devonshire Green, Sheffield, 1pm. We will meet at 1pm and decide on a target. See Facebook event.
- Tunbridge Wells – Meet at the Millennium clock in Tunbridge Wells at 12 noon.
- York – Meet at 1pm, Parliament Street Fountain.